Each day, we encounter numerous challenges in our workplace. Many of us try our hardest to make excuses to avoid these challenges, while others use them as opportunities to advance their careers.
We all want to be successful, but few of us achieve this success as we are unable to transform these challenges into opportunities.
Try these techniques to overcome challenges at work and attain the success you seek:
1. Stay calm in stressful situations. We all get stressed and frustrated at times. However, it’s important to try to avoid it happening in the workplace, so it doesn’t negatively affect your career.
- When you have to work with the same people every day, you want to maintain a cordial relationship with them, or at least an effective working relationship.
- People are more likely to help out someone who is happy and kind to others, rather than someone who is angry and irritated all the time.
- Using stress relieving strategies will help you maintain your calm at work. Meditation and journaling are especially good for this, as they can help you clear your mind, instill calm, and even come up with viable solutions to your work issues.
2. Get advice from experienced colleagues. While at work, you may come across issues that you’ve never encountered before. In this situation, you can either improvise or seek advice from someone who may have encountered this issue in the past.
- If you maintain a good relationship with your colleagues, you’ll be able to get help from them when needed.
3. Take time to strategize. Many challenges present unique opportunities. Take the time to analyze the situation, consider the advantages and disadvantages of different available options, and plan out a viable solution.
- This will be time well-spent. Not only will you resolve the challenge effectively, but you may also garner accolades from your superiors.
4. Don’t be afraid to take risks. To further your career, you’ll occasionally have to take risks. No one ever got ahead in business by playing it safe. This may seem intimidating, but when you face your fears and try to overcome challenges, you show how capable you are.
- Your superiors will take note of when you step up to these challenges.
5. Be confident in your own ability. Regardless of what industry you’re in, when you show confidence, you also show your colleagues and superiors that you are capable of the jobs you are tasked with.
- Think of it this way: if you don’t have faith in your ability, then how can you expect others to?
- When your confidence is lacking, remember how many challenges you have already overcome. This will surely boost your morale.
6. Take a break. In order to overcome any challenges we face, it’s important to ensure that our brains are rested.
- Going out for lunch, drinks with your colleagues, or letting your hair down for a bit will leave you in a more positive frame of mind.
- Plus, you are building a better bond with your colleagues, which can also help overcome challenges because they’re glad to help a friend.
People who are successful in work are not much different from the rest of us. They just know how to overcome any challenges they face and use them to their advantage.
You now have the tools you need to overcome any challenge you face in the workplace. Use them every day and see your career aspirations soar!
Marsha Guerrier is a bestselling author, speaker, trainer, business analyst, business coach, and CEO of HerSuiteSpot®, a MWBE and SBE certified small business consulting and coaching agency that provides online and in-person support to early stage female founders looking to accelerate their business.